We encourage all our members to be active in the events and programs run by the organization, and by other members in their community. However, we understand the time constraints we all face. Therefore, members can be as involved as they wish. Some members support our mission but get involved sparingly. Others regularly attend events and participate in discussions. Some become active volunteers and organizers.
Our mission to promote ethics in science and technology isn’t for the purpose of holding entertaining discussions (although the discussions frequently are). It’s to have our members go out and improve things using their perspective and knowledge. That requires action, and we want our members to get into that habit—first with engaged participation, and then (for those who have interest) with starting their own programs or taking on positions of responsibility here.
Some of the ways to participate:
- Take part in our online community to get involved in discussions about Pugwash topics, network with other members, and maybe find out about interesting projects you might want to volunteer for.
- Attend one of our local, regional, or national events. [COVID-19 note: when such things start happening again. In the meantime, we're cataloging online events.]
- Get involved in your local chapter, which could be organized at a university, place of business, or in a particular city or region.
- Browse our Alliances to find out about other organizations doing work overlapping with Pugwash, and decide whether those groups are also interesting to you.
- Reach out to other people interested in ethical issues in science and technology, and let them know about us.